Bitcoin and Ether Recover After Last Week’s Crash


The cryptocurrency market has been experiencing a turbulent period in the past few weeks, with prices fluctuating wildly and investors feeling anxious. Last week, the market witnessed a sharp sell-off that wiped out more than $200 billion from the total market capitalization. Bitcoin, the largest and most popular cryptocurrency, dropped below $30,000 for the first time since June, while Ether, the second-largest, fell below $1,700.

However, the market seems to have stabilized over the weekend, as both Bitcoin and Ether recovered some of their losses and traded above their psychological levels. As of Monday morning in Asia, Bitcoin was trading at around $26,000, up by 0.6% from the previous day, while Ether was trading at around $1,680, up by 0.8%. The total market capitalization of all cryptocurrencies was at $1.08 trillion, up by 1.4% from the previous day.


What caused the crypto crash?

There are several factors that have contributed to the recent crypto crash, ranging from macroeconomic events to regulatory uncertainties to technical issues. Some of the main reasons are:

  • The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on the global economy. The emergence of new variants of the virus, such as the Delta variant, has raised concerns about the recovery of economic activity and consumer demand. This has led to increased risk aversion among investors, who have sought safer assets such as the US dollar and government bonds.
  • The tightening of monetary policy by central banks around the world. The US Federal Reserve, for instance, has signaled that it may start tapering its bond-buying program later this year and raise interest rates sooner than expected. This has boosted the strength of the US dollar and reduced the appeal of inflation-hedge assets such as cryptocurrencies.
  • The crackdown on crypto activities by governments and regulators in various countries. China, for example, has intensified its efforts to ban crypto mining and trading, citing environmental and financial risks. Other countries, such as India, Turkey, and Nigeria, have also imposed restrictions or bans on crypto transactions. These measures have created uncertainty and fear among crypto investors and users.
  • The technical glitches and security breaches that have affected some of the major crypto platforms and services. For instance, Coinbase, one of the largest crypto exchanges in the world, experienced several outages and delays during the peak of the market volatility last week. Binance, another leading crypto exchange, faced regulatory scrutiny and legal challenges in several countries, such as the UK, Japan, and Germany. These incidents have eroded the trust and confidence of crypto users and traders.

What are the prospects for crypto recovery?

Despite the challenges and difficulties that the crypto market has faced recently, some analysts and experts remain optimistic about its long-term potential and growth. They believe that cryptocurrencies have inherent advantages over traditional forms of money and finance, such as decentralization, transparency, innovation, and inclusion. They also point out that there are still many positive developments and trends that support the adoption and acceptance of cryptocurrencies around the world. Some of these are:

  • The increasing institutional involvement and investment in cryptocurrencies. More and more companies, funds, banks, and organizations are embracing cryptocurrencies as part of their business models and strategies. For example, Tesla, MicroStrategy, Square, PayPal, Visa, Mastercard, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, BlackRock, Fidelity Investments are some of the prominent names that have shown interest or involvement in cryptocurrencies in various ways.
  • The growing popularity and innovation of decentralized applications (DApps) and platforms that run on blockchain technology. These include decentralized finance (DeFi), non-fungible tokens (NFTs), gaming, social media, art, music, entertainment, etc. These DApps and platforms offer new opportunities and possibilities for users and creators to interact with each other in a peer-to-peer manner without intermediaries or censorship.
  • The rising awareness and education among the general public about cryptocurrencies and their benefits. More people are becoming curious and interested in learning about cryptocurrencies and how they work. There are also more resources and tools available for people to access and use cryptocurrencies easily and safely. For example CoinDesk, Crypto News, [CoinMarketCap], [Coinbase], [Binance], etc.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *