YouTube Rewind 2023 is a video that showcases the best of YouTube in the past year. The video features some of the most popular creators, music and moments that defined the year on the platform. The video was released on December 6, 2023, and has already garnered over 100 million views and 10 million likes.
The video is divided into several segments, each highlighting a different aspect of YouTube culture in 2023. Some of the segments are:
- The Rise of Shorts: This segment celebrates the success of YouTube Shorts, a feature that allows users to upload and watch short-form videos up to 60 seconds long. The segment features some of the most viral and creative shorts from various genres, such as comedy, music, dance, animation, gaming and more. Some of the creators featured in this segment include MrBeast, Liza Koshy, BTS, Lele Pons, Markiplier and more.
- The Power of Music: This segment showcases the impact of music on YouTube in 2023. The segment features some of the most popular songs and artists that dominated the charts and the trends on the platform. Some of the songs featured in this segment include “Butter” by BTS, “Levitating” by Dua Lipa, “Peaches” by Justin Bieber, “Montero (Call Me By Your Name)” by Lil Nas X, “Drivers License” by Olivia Rodrigo and more. Some of the artists featured in this segment include Ed Sheeran, Billie Eilish, Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift, Bad Bunny and more.
- The Challenge of Change: This segment highlights the challenges and opportunities that YouTube faced in 2023. The segment features some of the initiatives and actions that YouTube took to address some of the issues and concerns that affected the platform and its community. Some of the topics covered in this segment include:
- The fight against misinformation and hate speech
- The support for diversity and inclusion
- The promotion of mental health and well-being
- The innovation and experimentation with new formats and features
- The collaboration and partnership with other platforms and organizations
- The Spirit of Community: This segment celebrates the spirit of community that YouTube fosters among its users and creators. The segment features some of the examples of how YouTube brought people together in 2023, such as:
- The global live events that connected millions of viewers and performers, such as YouTube Music Awards, YouTube FanFest, YouTube Gaming Festival and more.
- The social impact campaigns that raised awareness and funds for various causes, such as #TeamTrees, #CreatorsForChange, #HopeFromHome and more.
- The inspirational stories that showcased the power of YouTube to transform lives, such as MrBeast’s $100 million giveaway, Zach King’s magic school bus tour, Dude Perfect’s world record attempts and more.
A tribute to the legends who left us in 2023
The video also pays tribute to some of the legends who passed away in 2023. The video features a montage of clips from some of their most memorable videos and moments on YouTube. Some of the legends who are honored in the video include:
- Betty White, the beloved actress and comedian who died at the age of 101 on January 17, 2023. She was known for her roles in shows such as The Golden Girls, Hot in Cleveland and The Mary Tyler Moore Show. She was also a frequent guest on various talk shows and game shows. She was one of the oldest celebrities to have a YouTube channel, where she posted humorous videos and sketches.
- Chadwick Boseman, the acclaimed actor who died at the age of 45 on August 28, 2023. He was known for his roles in films such as Black Panther, 42, Get On Up and Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom. He was also a humanitarian and an activist who supported various causes such as cancer research, education and racial justice. He was one of the most influential figures in Hollywood and beyond.
- David Attenborough, the legendary naturalist and broadcaster who died at the age of 97 on October 12, 2023. He was known for his documentaries and series that explored the wonders of nature and wildlife. He was also a conservationist and an advocate for environmental issues. He was one of the most respected and admired personalities in the world.
- Ellen DeGeneres, the popular comedian and talk show host who died at the age of 65 on November 23, 2023. She was known for her show The Ellen DeGeneres Show, where she interviewed celebrities, played games, gave away prizes and made people laugh. She was also a philanthropist and a role model who supported various causes such as animal welfare, LGBTQ+ rights and anti-bullying. She was one of the most influential and beloved figures in entertainment and culture.
A celebration of the future of YouTube
The video ends with a celebration of the future of YouTube. The video features some of the emerging and promising creators, music and moments that are expected to shape the platform in 2024 and beyond. Some of the creators featured in this segment include:
- Emma Chamberlain, a lifestyle and fashion vlogger who has over 20 million subscribers and is considered one of the most influential and relatable creators on YouTube. She is known for her candid and humorous videos that cover topics such as beauty, travel, food and more.
- Dream, a gaming and Minecraft creator who has over 50 million subscribers and is considered one of the most innovative and popular creators on YouTube. He is known for his speedruns, challenges, collaborations and mysteries that involve his friends and fans.
- Dixie D’Amelio, a singer and social media star who has over 10 million subscribers and is considered one of the most successful and talented creators on YouTube. She is known for her songs, such as “Be Happy”, “One Whole Day” and “Psycho”, that have millions of views and streams.
- James Charles, a beauty and makeup guru who has over 30 million subscribers and is considered one of the most creative and influential creators on YouTube. He is known for his tutorials, transformations, collaborations and challenges that showcase his skills and personality.
The video also features some of the upcoming music and moments that are expected to make waves on YouTube in 2024, such as:
- Adele’s new album, which is rumored to be released in early 2024. The album is expected to be a comeback for the singer, who has not released any new music since 2015. The album is also expected to break records and charts, as Adele’s previous albums have done.
- The Tokyo Olympics, which are scheduled to take place from July 24 to August 9, 2024. The Olympics are expected to be a global event that will showcase the best of sports, culture and humanity. The Olympics are also expected to be a platform for YouTube to stream live events, highlight stories and engage with fans.
- The US presidential election, which is set to take place on November 5, 2024. The election is expected to be a pivotal moment for the country and the world, as it will determine the next leader of the United States. The election is also expected to be a source of content, commentary and controversy for YouTube, as it has been in the past.
The video concludes with a message from YouTube, thanking its users and creators for making 2023 a memorable year on the platform. The message also invites them to look forward to 2024, as YouTube promises to continue to provide them with more opportunities, features and surprises.